Dan, Heather, Katherine, Courtney, Jack, Ryan, Abby, Cade, and Bode

Dan, Heather, Katherine, Courtney, Jack, Ryan, Abby, Cade, and Bode

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A few notes

I want to write a few things down before I forget. We've spent most of our blog space journaling the big events, but there are so many interesting little facets to life here.

Last Saturday we had a July 4th celebration with all of the other missionaries. We were going to be at the orphanage for most of the day, so I asked Sammary to make the hamburgers for our picnic later. She had no idea what I was talking about. I figured she really did know what a hamburger was, but that there was just some sort of a communication problem. So I said, "You know, hamburger, like McDonalds." She said, "No, I don't know what a 'McDonald' is either."

How refreshing is that - to know there is a part of the world untouched by McDonalds! As it turns out, McDonalds did try to open up in Kenya, but Kenya wouldn't let them bring in beef from outside the country. So, no McDonalds here! Way to go Kenya :-)

I also learned that Kenyans don't buy eggs by the dozen, but by the tray, which is 20 eggs. I told Peris I'd like her to buy 2-3 dozen eggs, but I ended up with 60 eggs! Please come by so I can make you an omelette before we leave.

Last night we had two gals from the local salon come down to braid Katherine and Abby's hair. When Kat's was almost done, Sammary told her she looked very "smart." That's their highest compliment for beauty/style, but we were a little confused by that. We talked it out with her, to see what she meant, and then she was cracking up because it made her remember another time she had complimented an American with a "you look very smart" for her outfit and had received a confused response.

One of the joys of being here has been seeing Dan throughout the day. The kids take turns hanging out with him, and we'll stop in and say hi when we're up there to do a puppet show or something else. The windows are up high, but open, in the "theater" (operating room) so sometimes if the clinic is really crowded we'll just yell up through the windows and see these two tall guys (Dan and Ben) in surgery masks and hats pop their heads up and we can chit-chat for a second. That definitely doesn't happen in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment